How to remove acid rain from a car window
Stains water may prove to be a huge nuisance, especially when compensating small size with a large number. Acid rain stains, however, can be much more problematic in the long run. They usually produce a fog or burst effect on the outside of the windows, and can actually eat the glass when it dries, leaving permanent marks. But even these stains can be potentially eliminated with the right methods. Read to learn how to remove acid rain from a car window.
- Clean your window normally with an anti-dust cloth. Stains left by acid rain are sometimes difficult to discern from simple water spots (hopefully, your glass is only dirty, and not damaged). Follow the initial cleanup with a Windex application. Try to let the window dry with direct sunlight to avoid the ugly veins.
- Sprinkle the stains with a thin layer of baking soda (sodium). Take a damp cloth and rub the stains with an amount of strength to your liking. Bicarbonate is an effective and available medium abrasive that will remove stains without damaging the glass from underneath. To get an additional abrasive power, considers rub with a brush old toothbrush. If stains persist, however, go to Step 3.
- Apply a small amount of cutting compound to a very fine steel scourer. The cutting compound suspends a paste abrasive that can be applied to your glass, and the scouring pad will rub more effectively than a simple rag. Test on a small piece of glass before applying this method to a whole window, to make sure it will withstand the treatment.
- Attack any remaining spots with the same amount of vigor and strength (acidic marks can be incredibly persistent, and at this point you’ll be polishing rather than cleaning). After adequate amount of effort, check for any blemishes. If they can still be easily detected, try repeating this step while using a smaller grain cutting compound.
- Evaluate the final result, after making a reasonable effort. As the name suggests, acid rain spiders scratch the surface of the glass. If the damage is extensive enough to disable the functionality of the window, you may have to purchase a new one.
Tips & Warnings
- Check with your local workshop to see how brands of acid rain can be prevented at first. A bicarbonate preventive application, as in Step 2, can help prevent the formation of marks.