How to remove and install a windshield
If your car’s windshield is cracked or leaking, you can install a new one yourself if you do not have the money to go to a licensed mechanic. Using some simple tools and a little patience, you can remove and install a new windshield like home in a couple of hours. This is a project that will require a partner to help you complete it.
- Remove the outer trim. Using a windshield wiper adjustment tool, gently slide the blade between the seat and the windshield seal. Slide the tool blade all the way around the windshield and carefully remove the trim piece. Some windshields have trim clips that need to be popped up, while others have the trim cut right on the seal.
- Cut the seal with a carpet knife. Push the blade of the carpet knife all the way into the seal so that the blade of the knife touches bottom. Slowly cut all the way around the windshield until you have completely cut the seal.
- Loosen the windshield of the frame. Using a plastic stick, gently release the windshield from the frame of the car. Work the stick all the way around the windshield. Use plastic tools to prevent scratching.
- Push the glass. From inside the car, push the windshield with the palm of your hand to completely release it from the frame.
- Clean the remains of the windshield frame. Using the carpet knife as a scraper, remove all the old sealer from the frame to provide a clean work surface for the new windshield.
- Set the new windshield in the frame. Before securing the windshield, place a nylon rope in the channel around the entire windshield, with the two ends that meet in the center at the bottom of the windshield. Adjust the windshield and use the rope to help guide you in place. Once in place, you can remove the rope by pulling it out one end.
- Seal the windshield. Insert a butyl rubber tube windshield sealer into a putty gun and seal the window all the way around the frame, with no cracks in the seal. Once the seal has dried overnight, replace the trim.
Tips & Warnings
- Have an assistant that helps you with all this process to keep the windshield from falling on the hood of the car.