How to remove auto glass film
Auto glass film or dye is ideal for keeping the interior of your vehicle cooler and helps keep upholstery from fading. However, if not professionally installed, you can from the bubble and eventually can even turn purple, eventually the need to retire. This is something you can do yourself with a little patience and a few hours of your time.
- Put a tarp inside the rear cover surface covers to protect speakers, upholstery or other obstacles. Towards the exterior of the vehicle and the exterior of the rear window of the spray with water. Split an open lay, large trash bag of flat plastic over the window and trim to the size of the window.
- Spray the inside of the rear window with pure ammonia and cover the window with a second plastic bag that has been divided and trimmed to fit. Park your vehicle in the heat of the sun for an hour. After one hour, turn off the car heater and defroster in high setting and let it run for 15 minutes to get the auto glass warm. This will help soften the window film adhesive.
- First remove the glass film from a side window. Start peeling the film from the window in a corner of the window with a new single-edge razor blade. Most film auto is made with two layers and the heated window will allow both layers of film to be peeled off together. Gently and slowly pull the film with your fingers, working your way up the bottom of the window. Repeat this process for each side window.
- Wipe off any sticky adhesive stains that do not peel off with the film by spraying the glass with the glass cleaner and scrape the window clean with a razor blade. To finish, dry the glass with paper towels.
- Remove the car dye from the rear window in a similar way, trying to remove it in one piece. Start at a corner of the window and with a razor blade or nail, remove a small part of the film, being careful not to cut the defogger lines. Slowly pull the film with your fingers and as peeling, spray the film with ammonia if it begins to dry.
- To finish the repeat step 4 process to clean and dry the inside of the rear window. Remove the trash bag from the outside of the rear window, spray with glass cleaners and dry.